What is Capacitar
- A spirit of empowerment and solidarity.
- A network connecting people in 5 world areas: the Americas, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
- A charitable organization, Capacitar International, with an office in California, minimal staff and a national and international team of trainers.
- A core program of energy-based healing practices that awaken and empower people.
- Teams, coordinating groups and multipliers in over 40 countries.
- People who live with the Capacitar spirit, multiplying the practices in their lives, work and communities
How Capacitar Works
- Responds to invitations based on needs identified by communities.
- Collaborates with established groups and with other economic and social development efforts.
- Models alternative uses of power, as well as sensitivity to culture and traditions.
- Develops programs in collaboration with local people recognizing that an idea conceived and born within a group has the energy to move that group.
- Learns from local people’s experience in adapting practices to the needs and culture of their communities.
- Trains and empowers people to be the popular educators and multipliers in their own communities.
- Connects grassroots people through an international network of solidarity building relationships of cultural and personal understanding.
What Capacitar Teaches
Capacitar teaches easy-to-learn, easy-to-use holistic practices drawn both from ancient cultures and current research. These practices include Tai Chi, meditation, breathwork, acupressure fingerholds to manage emotions, Emotional Freedom Tapping and Polarity.
Capacitar has field tested these practices with thousands of people from different cultures and socioeconomic groups in the past 27 years. This field testing and specific research has demonstrated the positive effects of using the practices on people’s emotional, mental, spiritual and physical states and their sense of empowerment. Current medical research also proves the efficacy of many of the practices. Capacitar continually evaluates program content, methods and outcomes.Back to top
Capacitar recognizes the spiritual interconnection we all share with the Source of Being. It respects the faith, religious beliefs and commitments of all people. Through its practices Capacitar endeavors to inspire people to recognize the sacredness of life, the goodness and wisdom we carry within our body-mind-spirit. Capacitar is committed to creating justice, nonviolence and peace in our world.Back to top
The Capacitar Network
The Capacitar International training team responds to invitations for trainings and represents the organization in the field. In many countries Capacitar local teams and groups of multipliers have developed their own organizations and sponsor ongoing gatherings, workshops and outreach. You can find your nearest network contact by clicking the country on our homepage map.Back to top
Multiplying the Capacitar spirit
Participants who have taken workshops or trainings are encouraged to informally share Capacitar practices acting as multipliers with their families, friends and communities in the spirit of popular education. Many professionals, under the scope of their own practice or profession, also incorporate Capacitar practices and methods in their work, outreach, ministry or organization.Back to top
What Capacitar is not
Capacitar is not therapy. We use a popular education approach, Workshop leaders are educators, not therapists or counselors. Capacitar places skills in the hands of the people so they can care for themselves. In many places where Capacitar works, individual therapy is not culturally appropriate while education is valued and accepted. The Capacitar popular education approach is an important way to meet the needs of many traumatized people in places of massive trauma and violence where there are often not enough individual therapists.
Capacitar is not a first responder. Until the immediate needs of food, shelter, health care and some rebuilding of infrastructure have been met, people cannot begin to address the emotional and physical manifestations of the traumatic events that they have suffered. Once people’s lives have been stabilized, the emotional effects of trauma begin to surface. This is when Capacitar is able to respond with its self-help popular education program. Capacitar’s response is driven by the needs of the people. We work with partners in the region (organizations who respect the people as we do, and the integrity of solutions that communities develop) and respond to their requests for our program. Once people are trained we provide technical assistance, if requested, on multiplication strategies and then exit. We do continue to be available for consultation by email or mail.Back to top
In 2005, we responded to Hurricane Katrina by putting together this kit of simple basic practices for immediate use to help people deal with challenging situations, such as natural disasters, violence or chronic stress. Since then it has been translated into more than 20 languages and used in countries after tsunamis, earthquakes, floods and areas of ongoing conflict.